Superchunk was great. As usual. I don’t know where the fuck Mac gets all his energy. He bounces around the stage all night, dishing out solos, pogoing like a motherfucker. His shirt was completely soaked by the end of the night. Meanwhile, all the kids in the crowd are getting tired out and Laura was playing her bass cross-legged on the floor by the end.
The setlist was mostly by request and included tons of b-sides and other songs I’ve never heard them play live before. So that was pretty cool, but I wouldn’t have minded hearing some of old faves. I mean some of these were b-sides for a reason. It was also Mac’s birthday today! So before the first encore, Laura snuck candles and brownies from the crowd, and when Mac came back on stage someone started playing happy birthday on a tuba. Then she came back with the candles lit, and he blew them out. He’s 45 now. FORTY FIVE. If I can even look half as good as he does at 45, that would be amazing. If I could have the energy he has at 45….my god.
Other points of interest:
- There was a crowd surfer, and I was yelling “DROP HIM! DROP HIM”, because there’s nothing worse than a crowd surfer who comes from the BACK of the crowd where you can’t see them. So you’ll get kicked in the back of the head by this asshole or someone will dump him on you, which sucks if you’re a girl. Do it from the front, people. So then people who aren’t into that can move out of the way first.
- This hilarious dancing dude. Some people bob their head to music, this guy was like…I don’t know how to describe. It was the whitest white dude dance I’ve ever seen. Have you seen Along Came Polly? It was Ben Stiller before he learned from that guy. Occasionally, he’d switch to The Obama…but if you had a beer in your hand. I burst out laughing every time I glanced to my right at him.
- The girls who come by themselves and totally nerd out to the band playing get me every time. I always want to get closer and nerd out with them in the hopes they’ll notice we have something in common and maybe she’ll talk to me. Ha, because, you know, it’s not like we’re into the same band or anything. I don’t mind trying to talk to them, it’s just I’m always afraid I’m going to be “that guy” who creeps them out simply because he’s trying to have a conversation with a stranger and maybe wants her number or something so he can do that some more. Can girls relate to that? Because I have never ever ever heard of a girl randomly talking to a guy and that guy backing off and telling his friends “This girl keeps trying to talk to me, I think she just wants to get in my pants. We gotta get out of here. See, she keeps sneaking glances in my direction! OMG!”. I’m sorry, but if a girl followed me around a venue the whole night, I would totally have a crush on her. Even if she didn’t talk to me, and I just noticed she was creepin behind me for an hour. I would. So would.
- Actually, I crush on like five girls every time I go to shows anyway. But then her boyfriend comes back from getting his beer. Naturally, I shove him out of the way and when she turns back at him to tell him something funny, my face is right there. I’m all like HEEEEEEEEEY in my smoothest, non creepy, Batman voice. No. Not really. What really happens is I imagine various scenarios in which I get this possibly single girl to notice me and then follow through on NONE.
- My buddy likes to watch shows with his arms crossed. I’m like “Dude, you look like you got molested by music when you were kid. What’s up with you? Why do you look like you’re cradling your soul?” Maybe he just likes looking like an asshole. I don’t know.
-This has gone pretty off track, hasn’t it?